Wednesday, June 5, 2019
Since I havne't got a 2019 server box on hand, I opted to use my windows 10 machine and pulled the 1803 image and rebuilt everything, good news is after all these the MSMQ issue is also gone.
will do more testing later but hopefully there should be no more major issues.
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Sunday, June 2, 2019
These days machine learning is an inescapable part of the realm if you are working in data field, as such I think it is necessary to learn something new and refresh what was taught at school over a decade ago ... I took the coursea course "machine learning" by andrew ng and finished the course today. I would recommend it to anyone who has interest to get to know a bit of machine learning , this course fall bit short on the theory and mathematics involved thought but that is understandable being an intro course.
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
With the initiative to move things to cloud, I once again take up this challenge and trying to sort this out this time.
so far I have got the following in place:
1. Only containerize the web front end, BPM workflow service will run on VM instead, the VM will also serve as batch processing server.
2. Within the containerized web app's web.config, setup the queue to be the remote queue (MSMQ) hosted on the VM.
3. Site build need to be scripted using powershell script, this is not possible inside a container.
4. there was an issue installing crystal report runtime in container but google gave me the answer.
5. SQLXML is required for installing ICE 1.5
6. ICE won't install with IIS 10 (This Setup Requires Internet Information Server 5.1 or higher), the trick is to manually update registry value and revert back after the installation.
7. Use PIDKEY parameter with ICE msi to install in silent mode.
8. I had problem with ICE EP1 EP2 installation in silent mode sine the msi installation has a custom action that requires user response, I tried to crack it using installation argument but eventually gave up and manually install the new version of assembly instead and use assembly binding redirect to resolve the error caused by multiple version of same assembly.
9. use gMSA (Group managed service account) with container to support windows authentication and accessing domain protected resource from within the container.
There is still a major hurdle before this whole thing can work, this time it is the msdtc that plays up, since I am using a VM for SQL , to make msdtc work it will requires tweaking quite a few things, hope this is not a show stopper.
4/6: figured out that since I am running the container host in vmware environment, need to turn on the Promiscuous mode on the vSwitch, I doubt it will happen, might have to consider azure vm where cni will go into play.
Thursday, May 16, 2019
The Register: Tangled in .NET: Will 5.0 really unify Microsoft's development stack?. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/16/will_net_5_really_unify_microsoft_development_stack/
Monday, May 6, 2019
Ars Technica: Windows 10 will soon ship with a full, open source, GPLed Linux kernel. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/windows-10-will-soon-ship-with-a-full-open-source-gpled-linux-kernel/